Thoughtful Thursday

Power of the Mind


I was on my walk/run the other day and completed my best time ever for 2 miles: 24 minutes, 34 seconds. I was ecstatic and amazed at what I accomplished.

When I was little, I suffered from respiratory illness. The word "running" was not in my vocabulary since my lungs could not handle it. I was constantly told "you can't do it." I eventually adopted this mindset and when things would get a little tough, I'd give up because I believed everyone was right.

Fast forward to now, I just read the book "Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself: How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One"  by Dr. Joe Dispenza. He talked about rewiring your brain to change your body. An idea that sounded impossible but I've come to realize is very possible. 

I loved what Dr. Dispenza wrote so much that I'm continuing to read another one of his books titled "Becoming Super Natural: How Common People are Doing the Uncommon."

I also started meditating this year. I have to say, it seemed odd at first, but the more I practiced, the more I grew to love it. It truly is a wonderful reset!

This morning I went on a walk, and I noticed something. The running segments that I had been doing  were getting longer and easier each time. I also noticed that when I start my running segment my mind switches gears. I go into a kind of meditative state and instead of saying to myself "Oh this is hard, I just have to get to my marker and I can stop." I now say "This is easy; I got this; no problem." My focus is no longer on making it from one marker to another, but rather the act of running and the ease of it. This helped me to break my negative thoughts and now I end up running past my markers without realizing it!

I made a decision to silence these negative thoughts because if I can reprogram my mind to make my body stronger (something I was told my whole life wasn't possible) what else can I achieve? The possibilities are are endless!

What I've learned from Dr Dispenza has been mind blowing. I highly recommend you check out his website: drjoedispenza.com and his books. They're amazing!


What would you like to achieve or change in your life? 


Photo by Maria / Cherry Blossoms, Washington DC

Comments

Popular Posts